Thursday, May 1, 2014

ROADSIDE STAND

Why you left me poking around at the roadside vegetable stand, while you slipped back into the car and drove to Lord knows where, I have no idea.  But as I was looking for stuff for a salad for dinner to make later at your mom’s,  a small tingle crept across the back of my neck, causing me to shiver.
     Looking up, I saw the space in the gravel parking lot where your father’s Impala had been only moments before.  Seeing that and what I took to be just a speck of brown dust kicked up from the turning of your wheels made me squeeze the two hot house tomatoes I had in my hand, nearly turning them into ketchup with my bare hands.
      Now I would have to find out how to get back home.
      Who could I approach?  At the edge of the stand, an elderly couple fiddled with a giant orange squash.  Closer, a young woman in a blue warm-up suit wearing white earbuds was fingering some cucumbers.  I couldn’t be certain, but it was my guess that the man running the cash register didn’t speak much English.  I didn't feel like telling complete strangers that you had ditched me on the side of the road.  I may have sacrificed my self-respect with you, but that doesn't mean I had to give it up for everyone I came across.  Reflexively, my palms hit my pants pocket, serving only to remind me that I’d left my cell phone in the car.
      You bastard.
      I set the tomatoes down as a phantom cell phone vibration made my thigh tingle.
      I made my way out from under the wooden roof. The whoosh of an F150 doing at least 80 on that dusty two-lane road brought me back to my senses.
      I know you too well by now to think you’re heartless.
      It must be something else.
      I started walking; I figured I could make our apartment in a couple hours, which was just enough time to pack before dusk.  DFP

No comments:

Post a Comment